The UKanTeach program at the University of Kansas is designed to improve the teaching and learning of undergraduate Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) students. The courses are arranged in a developmental sequence. The first two class; LA&S 290 and LA&S 291 are one hour exploration courses open to all interested KU students. These classes are valuable learning experiences that can enrich the degree of many STEM majors, while building a foundation for those who wish to pursue education further
UKanTeach students complete their BS or BA in mathematics, natural sciences and/or engineering along with the UKanTeach coursework. UKanTeach fits within each degree program to provide focused training specific to science and math content. The result is a deep, thorough understanding of the STEM discipline and a solid foundation in educational practice. The skills acquired through UKanTeach come without any additional time added to the degree plan!
- Give it a try. Teach to learn, learn to lead.
- LA&S 290: Approaches to Teaching Math and Science I (UKan1) - 1 Hr
- LA&S 291: Approaches to Teaching Math and Science II (UKan2) - 1 Hr
- Join UKanTeach! Choose a STEM degree, with a teaching option.
- C&T 360: Knowing and Learning - 3 Hr
- MATH 209: Functions and Modeling - 3 Hr (Math Majors Only)
- HIST 363 or MATH 409/410: History of Science or Math - 3 Hr
- C&T 448: Reading Across the Curriculum - 3 Hr
- C&T 366: Classroom Interactions - 3 Hr
- BIOL/CHEM 598: Research Methods - 3 Hr
- C&T 460: Project-based Learning - 3 Hr
- Choose Education. Earn your teaching certification.
- C&T 500 & C&T 598: Student Teaching and Seminar - 7 Hr
UKanTeach can also fit into your changing plans. Students who have already earned a significant amount of credit can complete the UKanTeach certification program even faster. That means quicker graduation and less time between you and your career goals.
- Explore your pathways to your degree with UKanTeach option through the links on the left menu.
- Talk about potential career opportunities and internship possibilities the UKanTeach Master Teachers.
- Talk with the UKanTeach Advisor or UKanTeach Master Teachers about the courses listed in the below; when they are offered, what prerequisites you may need and any variation in the sequence allowed for your pathway.
- Talk to your departmental advisors about what courses are needed to complete your major, applying for an undergraduate research scholarship, completing independent study, or completing honors in the major.