Many UKanTeach students considering a career in math or science education must also work to support their studies at the University. To financially assist these students, UKanTeach offers a unique internship program for its participants. With the help of generous foundation support, UKanTeach has formed partnerships with many non-profit organizations around the Lawrence and Kansas City area that provide educational services.
Students are paid a generous stipend to work 10 to 20 hours a week assisting with the development of educational materials, working directly with families and children, providing guided tours at local museums, or assisting with after-school programs devoted to helping children succeed. Internships are mutually beneficial to UKanTeach students and the region's community organizations.
Below is a listing of internships available through UKanTeach. Please note that you are encouraged to find other places with which to set up internships and are not limited to the ones listed below. Click on the name of a site or partner to learn more about each internship. Send an email to an Internship Coordinator, if you have any questions or are interested in more information.
3078 Dole Human Development Center
Required Qualifications for a UKanTeach Internship:
- Must be enrolled in 12 or more hours at KU.
- Current KU+Transfer GPA of 2.75 or higher.
- Successfully completed LA&S 290 and 291.
Apply for an Internship:
- Go to KU's jobs site and select "Student Hourly Jobs". From the Student Hourly Jobs page you should be able to view information for the "UKanTeach Internship". You may also search by department name of Center for Science Education.
- Complete on-line application process.
Talk with Edith Eskilson for more great ideas on potential internship placements!
- Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Douglas County
- Boys & Girls Club of Lawrence
- Elsie Fitzgerald Rowland Environmental Education Internships
- K-State Research & Extension-Douglas County
- KU Natural History Museum & Biodiversity Research Center
- Public School Teaching Assistant
- Lawrence Public Schools (Science Kit Refilling)
- Science City at Union Station
- Science Pioneers/Science Fair Mentor/Science Fair Judge
- Students Tutoring for Literacy
- Teacher Assistant
- UpLink—Youthfriends School Mentoring